Saturday, August 20, 2011

Backyard birding

I spent part of yesterday afternoon with the lovely and talented Ann Brokelman, watching the birds in her yard at her numerous feeders.  I haven't used my DSLR in months, in fact when I originally wrote this I spelled it DLSR so that's how bad it was!  I had to re-learn the settings but we had a pretty cool time watching "her" birds.

The first one, and I have to say it was a doozie, was the cackling-wasp-killer.  The CWK, as they are sometimes called, are notorious for fits of temper and a swift right hand.  Their only enemy is the vengeful tongue-sticker-outer who took this picture!  Revenge!  Finally!


Okay, how am I supposed to top that?  I should end the blog here but there really WERE some birds!

Cardinal and housefinch.  They were spitting seeds all over the place.

This is the male ruby-throated hummingbird.  He was flitting back and forth all the time.  They're so cool to watch because they hover, drink and are gone in a blink of an eye.

And the female...or juvie...can't remember.

Male Baltimore Oriole also took a turn at the feeder.

Female Downy woodpecker.

Cute little male Downy with his fluffy hairdo.


Common Grackle hams it up to impress the Mourning Doves.

How cute is this one?  The elusive, rarely seen splotchy Cardinal!

Female Downy that seems to have found her soulmate!


The end.  Literally!  Bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment